When Nathan Littauer Hospital in Gloversville, New York began their Capital Campaign in 2007, they contacted Timely Signs to help with planning a recognition panel to acknowledge donors. After a site visit, we found that this organization had a rich and interesting history dating back to 1894. In their main lobby were statues of their founders Nathan and Lucious Littauer but the way they were presented left much to be desired. Since the main lobby was where the planned recognition panel was to reside, we naturally felt that presenting the capital campaign in the context of the history of the hospital would be both fitting and visually compelling.
We took our cue from the existing oak pedestals for the statues and created a design using oak trim and backer panels. We suggested suitable paint colors and provided instructions to the hospital facilities department who handled the wallpaper removal and painting which helped reduce cost. The recessed wall areas where the statues rest were painted an accent color to highlight their importance. Etched stainless plaques were installed on the oak bases with the founders’ names as well as decorative lettering on the wall. Between the two sculptures is a panel that outlines the story surrounding the formation of the hospital. To the right is a collage of historical images and to the left is the capital campaign donor panel. Along the bottom of the display is a timeline of key events in the hospital’s history that ties the entire wall together.